Gordon

Default Flatbottom Dory: Speed, seaworthy?

Basically, a flat bottom boat is always on a plane and can exceed "hull"
speed easily because of that.
As for ride, rough. Will pound at any kind of speed but plenty seaworthy
(most not good in a following sea) as evidenced by all the dories out there.
Gordon

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,
I want to design and build a "riverboat" for the Fraser River, with

some
... "unique" design considerations (eg I want it to look ugly because it
will be on a "questionable" dock and I don't want it stolen!). Basically
I'm looking for something between an east-coast fishing dory and Bogie's
"African Queen". Something like Bateau Boat's FL14, but 16 ft, inboard and
probably not Stitch'n'glue.

Anyway, I need some anecdotal feedback: First, a 16ft boat has a
theoretical hull speed of about 5.5 knots. HOWEVER, I've seen many boats
(such as my 12ft alum) that exceeds hull speed without truly planing
(semi-plane?) Does anyone have some performance numbers for 14-16ft
flat-bottomed skiff as to how fast they go before planing? I'm looking at
maybe 6-10hp engine.

Second, I'm unfamiliar with how a flat-bottom hull performs in waves -
are they seaworthy?

Thanks for any comments, stories, etc!

Lloyd Sumpter