P.C. Ford

Default Resin Injection into soft wood

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:07:49 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"
wrote:

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:11:19 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"
wrote:

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote

Hmmm.... I guess it must be different for working people. I've known
several boat yard operators and pile drivers who use this method (for
their own boats). Actually, the most common way is to use regular
epoxy
resin and thin it with acetone to the right consistency. I know of a
couple rib repairs that are about 25 years old and still in place.

Well, I am making observations from experience. The family company
manages a number (like over 1,000) older single family and duplex
rentals,
many of which have wood porches. We use a variety of epoxies to restore
rotten porch columns where the local Historic Preservation committee
insists that restoration match the original. We have found that it
works
fine for trim and column bases but will not hold up on railings, floor
planks and other parts than may be loaded in bending.

Epoxy stabilizes the wood and prevents further rotting but it has much
lower tensile strength than the wood and is considerably less resiliant.
Unless the part is reinforced with carefully aligned glass fiber it will
not be up to the task.

--
Glenn Ashmore

Our experiential data conflicts. In the end, we'll each go with what
works
for us... probably with equal confidence. Your last statement above is
nonsense in the real world though. It looks nice in type.

Huh? If you have any proof whatsoever that epoxy treated rotten wood
regains strength please share it. This certainly goes against 30 years
of experience as a boatwright spcializing in restoration.

We'll wait right here.

Whadya want? Names and adresses so you can go check? The statement "Unless
the part is reinforced with carefully aligned glass fiber it will not be up
to the task." is a stupid statement to make. What task? I know repairs
that are 25 years old which are still up to the task... They are in various
places where it is crucial and the repairs hold up even under the harshest
weather and water conditions. I still say the statement is rediculous.
Sheesh... boatwright? Do you ever take those boats out? Do you have any
experience on the water?

Why yes I do. On sail and power. Do you have any experience restoring
boats?

You have swallowed boatshow handout propaganda whole. That's "stupid"
and "rediculous".....to use your words.