Bill Netterville

Default Counter rotating engine question

I have a SeaRay with twin OMC 4.3 sterndrives. Looking at the props, I see
that they turn in different directions - counter-rotating.
I am kind of new to the twin engine scene and had a question that I can't
find the answer to in my manuals.

How is the direction of rotation changed from a "normal outdrive"?
Does the engine "run backwards", or is there a gearset in the outdrive that
changes the direction?
If in the outdrive, is the change in the upper or lower housing? Could you
swap out the gearset in a
"normal outdrive" and make it counter-rotating?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks in advance....
Bill

F330 GT

Hey, that's an excellent question. I have twin Alpha I's and I would be
interested to know too.

"Bill Netterville" wrote in message
m...
I have a SeaRay with twin OMC 4.3 sterndrives. Looking at the props, I see
that they turn in different directions - counter-rotating.
I am kind of new to the twin engine scene and had a question that I can't
find the answer to in my manuals.

How is the direction of rotation changed from a "normal outdrive"?
Does the engine "run backwards", or is there a gearset in the outdrive

that
changes the direction?
If in the outdrive, is the change in the upper or lower housing? Could you
swap out the gearset in a
"normal outdrive" and make it counter-rotating?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks in advance....
Bill

It's all in the lower unit and yes you can change the gears. It's alot easier
to just change the lower unit, though. A good used lower unit can be found for
about $300 or a rebuilt for about $500.

Barry
Paul

It's all in the lower unit and yes you can change the gears. It's alot
easier
to just change the lower unit, though. A good used lower unit can be found

for
about $300 or a rebuilt for about $500.

Well that makes sense.

My port outboard leg (whatever you call it, lower unit, the part the sticks
through the transom) has a label on it that says "counter rotating". I
suppose if it was the engine that ran backwards they would have put the
plate on there.

I suppose I could put a bit of thought into these things.

Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM
ENGINE OVERHEAT Coff General 2 August 4th 03 11:39 PM
Excessive Oil Injection (I think) Grumman-581 General 7 July 20th 03 12:05 PM
Volvo Penta (EFI) engine starting problem Larry Buss General 0 July 19th 03 06:19 AM