Default Fuel/Oil ratio for old Sea King?

I just got a old 5hp sea king and it's not locked up but I have no idea how to start it. Help plz!

wrote:
I just got a old 5hp sea king and it's not locked up but I have no idea how to start it. Help plz!

Google is your friend...

https://www.diyforums.net/what-is-th.....-595359.html

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 9:25:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2019 16:39:31 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 7:24:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2019 15:56:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I just got a old 5hp sea king and it's not locked up but I have no idea how to start it. Help plz!

Depending on how old it is at least 50:1 but some of the older ones
may have been 25:1
First be sure you have a healthy spark. That usually takes 2 people if
you don't have a spark tester. If it is sparking you can try just
filling it up and giving it a yank. If you are not sure you are
getting gas out of the carb, squirt some premix in the throat, open
the throttle all the way and yank it. You will start out too rich but
after a few pulls the mix will be OK enough to pop. If it runs a few
seconds and stops, suspect a carb problem or a fuel delivery problem.

They need three things to run... fuel, air, and spark. Greg's method will get you started.

Don't forget compression ;-)

You actually don't need much of that. I had a friend growing up that had a neighbor with a "collection" of those old single cylinder engines that fired once every 4-6 revolutions. They have almost no compression, and run just fine, sort-of. Similar to this:

http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/horizontal-single-cylinder-workshop-engine/

It was pretty cool to go over on a weekend and see him fire one up.

wrote:

[...]

That is pretty much true. If it is enough to push your finger out of
the hole it will at least pop if you get the fuel and air right.
Running these things tend to make them better. The rings will seat
and knock some of the crud off the cylinder walls.
We had an old OMC 20 that was seized up tight, We flooded the
cylinders with WD-40 beat the pistons loose with a dowel and a hammer
through the plug holes while a guy kept a wrench on the flywheel nut.
Once we got it loose we fired it up and putted around the ramp area a
while. 20 minutes later we took it out in the gulf.

.... But we are rednecks ;-)

wrote:

[...]

Rednecks will inherit the world. But wait... you aren't a redneck. You are from up north, and rednecks are only from the south, right?

wrote:

[...]

Lots of rednecks even in California. Just not much representation. Heck,
we got rodeo champs here.

wrote:

[...]

There are plenty of rednecks in Southern Md, at least before it got
gentrified..