Tim Tim is offline

Default No more local Ethanol free fuel for me...

We did have a local station that handled 100 percent gas. No more. They had tank troubles with their diesel tank malfunctioning. They decided to discontinue it's use, and change over the ethanol free. to diesel. now they offer e85, e15 and regular e10 and diesel.

This is sad for the chainsaw, weed eater and a lot of motorcycle crowd. Not counting the boaters. They're hacked about it too. Now the closest place to sell alcohol free fuel is 10 mi away.

Fortunately, the lake I will be boating on with my 2 cycle pontoon has a couple stations that handle it.

it's still inconvenient though.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

We did have a local station that handled 100 percent gas. No more. They had tank troubles with their diesel tank malfunctioning. They decided to discontinue it's use, and change over the ethanol free. to diesel. now they offer e85, e15 and regular e10 and diesel.

This is sad for the chainsaw, weed eater and a lot of motorcycle crowd. Not counting the boaters. They're hacked about it too. Now the closest place to sell alcohol free fuel is 10 mi away.

Fortunately, the lake I will be boating on with my 2 cycle pontoon has a couple stations that handle it.

it's still inconvenient though.

===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
https://www.avg.com

Tim Tim is offline

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
https://www.avg.com

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, I’d think I’d like it. But carrying 40 gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!

wrote:

We did have a local station that handled 100 percent gas. No more. They had tank troubles with their diesel tank malfunctioning. They decided to discontinue it's use, and change over the ethanol free. to diesel. now they offer e85, e15 and regular e10 and diesel.

This is sad for the chainsaw, weed eater and a lot of motorcycle crowd. Not counting the boaters. They're hacked about it too. Now the closest place to sell alcohol free fuel is 10 mi away.

Fortunately, the lake I will be boating on with my 2 cycle pontoon has a couple stations that handle it.

it's still inconvenient though.

As long as you can keep it moving there isn't really a problem with
E-10, you just can't store it.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:57 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
https://www.avg.com

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, I’d think I’d like it. But carrying 40 gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!

===

Yeah, those bigger outboards can run through 40 gallons in no time at
all. I assume it's a 2 stroke? If so they seem to be a little less
prone to having the carb gum up. In my experience the problems arise
when the gas and motor sit around for a while. You could keep a
smaller tank of 100LL on hand and run the motor on it for a few
minutes before shutting down. That would help to avoid carb problems.
The other big issue with ethanol fuel is phase separation in the tank
which results in an accumulation of water. The judicious use of
Stabil and/or SeaFoam can help with that but I'd also add a good water
separating filter like a Racor between your fuel tank and the motor.
People are even doing this with dinghy motors.

wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 06:07:37 -0800 (PST), Tim
===

Do you have a local airport? They all sell something called 100LL
(One hundred octane, low lead). It's pricey but you probably don't
need huge amounts.

---
https://www.avg.com

Seeing my Mercury 115 is a 1977, IÂ’d think IÂ’d like it. But carrying 40
gal might shuck a wallet quickly. Lol!

===

Yeah, those bigger outboards can run through 40 gallons in no time at
all. I assume it's a 2 stroke? If so they seem to be a little less
prone to having the carb gum up. In my experience the problems arise
when the gas and motor sit around for a while. You could keep a
smaller tank of 100LL on hand and run the motor on it for a few
minutes before shutting down. That would help to avoid carb problems.
The other big issue with ethanol fuel is phase separation in the tank
which results in an accumulation of water. The judicious use of
Stabil and/or SeaFoam can help with that but I'd also add a good water
separating filter like a Racor between your fuel tank and the motor.
People are even doing this with dinghy motors.

My problem was so much water got in the tank, either phase separation or
something else, that the filter would fill up with water. Had about 5
gallons of water in a 60 gallon tank. When coming up on plane, that water
got deep at the pickup.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:28:04 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

[...]

That is always a problem with built in tanks. If you are not running
the boat regularly and burning E-10 you can accumulate water. As bad
as E10 is, it does soak up the water and in small amounts burn it off
as steam. It can actually help performance. Once you get that much
water you are going to have to drain the tank some way.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

On the pontoon, I have three 12 gal and a 9 gal backup. I'm not filling them full due to expansion. and at least I can control the quality of the fuel and the moisture content. That's about the only advantage of outboard tanks. LOL

https://www.easternmarine.com/moelle...-tank-630012lp

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/epa-...ank-9-gal.html
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

We did have a local station that handled 100 percent gas. No more. They had tank troubles with their diesel tank malfunctioning. They decided to discontinue it's use, and change over the ethanol free. to diesel. now they offer e85, e15 and regular e10 and diesel.

This is sad for the chainsaw, weed eater and a lot of motorcycle crowd. Not counting the boaters. They're hacked about it too. Now the closest place to sell alcohol free fuel is 10 mi away.

Fortunately, the lake I will be boating on with my 2 cycle pontoon has a couple stations that handle it.

it's still inconvenient though.

As long as you can keep it moving there isn't really a problem with
E-10, you just can't store it.

What I can't understand is why my station has the standard e10, now e15 and also e85. makes no sense to me at all.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yessir, it's a 2-smoker. they guesstimate that WFO they're good for about 11 gal per hr. One advantage to them is the pwr to weight ratio. A 300 lb engine doing about 120 hp. isn't bad.

Not sure how it'll push this 28 ft bi-toon with a moderate load. but at 20 mph it doesn't take you very far on 40 gal.