Default Smoked Classic Porchetta

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 5:49:39 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 12:54:46 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 12:27:31 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
Do I want to give this a shot? Looks damn good, and I'd bet all the fat from the pork belly would
turn that otherwise dry pork loin into a connoisseur's dream:

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...oked-porchetta

Wife brought a loin home yesterday, and I just checked with the local Lowes Foods and they have pork belly. I'll be cooking one of these tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please do! Our Costco carries both also.

Tim, John... I wanted to like it, but I just don't like the pork belly that much. I followed their directions, and the loin is certainly moist and tender, but the belly didn't render as much as I'd like. I've had belly before and the fattiness of it just turns me off.

Trimmed of the excess fat and sliced up, it makes a pretty good sandwich.

Its Me wrote:
[...]

John’s recipe probably requires a long, low slow cook, to render the fat.
I have had pork belly topped pizza and loved it. Did not seem greasy.
That was in New Zealand. So there has to be great ways to cook he big junk
of pork belly, instead of making it in to bacon. Admittedly the pork belly
I had several different ways in NZ and Australia was not big chunks.

Tim Tim is offline

Bill
Its Me wrote:
[...]

Bill, I’d probably agree with you. I might be too impatient because I’m not the type to watch a slow roast all day.

I do enjoy delicious and simple recipes. I just can’t spent all day prepping and working an oven...

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 1:18:36 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Its Me wrote:
[...]

That recipe called for a 1 hour smoke (around 200), then crank it up to 325 and roast until it hits an internal temp of 135 which took about 2 hours. I agree, next time I'll leave it on the lower smoke temp and let it render out more.

Tim wrote:
Bill
Its Me wrote:
[...]

The nice thing about a pellet smoker is make sure there is a hopper full of
pellets and set the temperature. Go do other things for 6 hours or so.

Its Me wrote:
[...]

I would do most of the cook at 225. Seems to be the nice temperature for
most low end meats. Then crank it up for a time to 375-400 to crisp the
outside.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 18:18:35 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Its Me wrote:
[...]

Here's what I would consider a great use of pork belly. I will try this one of these days.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...lly-burnt-ends

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 09:45:40 -0800 (PST), Its Me wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the report. Bill suggests a longer cook. Do you think that would help? Maybe two or three
hours at 225 or so and then up the temp to 325? Or maybe just leave it at 225 for five or six hours
until the loin gets up to 135 (which seems a bit low to me).

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 20:16:08 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

Tim wrote:
Bill
Its Me wrote:
[...]

I don't trust my Traeger that long. Had it shut down too many times. I check it about once an hour
or so and give the pellets a stir every couple hours so they don't 'bridge'.

Its Me wrote:
[...]

Sounds reasonable to me too.

How about you try it out and let us know?

:)

Classic... Keyser Söze General 15 August 23rd 15 07:17 PM
Classic X ` Man General 72 September 19th 11 03:06 PM
Caught a mess o smoked mullet Frogwatch[_2_] General 13 December 1st 10 02:48 AM
Let them eat fruitwood-smoked quail Boater General 6 November 16th 08 07:10 PM
Whoa - Clinton is getting smoked... Short Wave Sportfishing General 81 February 6th 08 11:03 PM