posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Mainsail Controls

Not counting the halyard and mainsheet,
I can think of 12 other mainsail control
lines. What am I thinking of? [1 pt]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not counting the halyard and mainsheet,
I can think of 12 other mainsail control
lines. What am I thinking of? [1 pt]

Hmmm... traveler, outhaul, cunningham, reefing lines (x3), leech line,
topping lift, boom vang, adjustable backstay, preventer, lazy jacks (or
Dutchman or StackPak), furling line (for boom or main), perhaps a boom bolt
rope, I've heard of batten control lines.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 27, 4:31 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

Not counting the halyard and mainsheet,
I can think of 12 other mainsail control
lines. What am I thinking of? [1 pt]

Hmmm... traveler, outhaul, cunningham, reefing lines (x3), leech line,
topping lift, boom vang, adjustable backstay, preventer, lazy jacks (or
Dutchman or StackPak), furling line (for boom or main), perhaps a boom bolt
rope, I've heard of batten control lines.

--
"j" ganz

You forgot chokers for each reef point, which loosen between the mast
track and halyard tack below the reef tack allowing the sail to set
smoother at the foot and permit adjusting the cunningham or gooseneck
downhaul while reefed. The traveler includes 3 adjustments: the main
sheet and the port and stbd traveler control lines.

All this presupposes a marconi rig. There are many other main sail
types, which include other control lines, one of which I believe would
be called a gullet. What does it do?

Another would be a brace.

Another would be a parrel, one of possibly 7 or 8, What does it do, to
what sort of sail?

Remember to think global and act local.

Terry K

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Terry K" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 27, 4:31 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

He asked for 12, which is what I gave him (or thereabouts).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart,

I just wrote down 14 without counting Reefing, which could add one to
three adjustments, depending on how you're counting.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

OK Salty;

Take Ganz's List and then add;
Hmmm... traveler, outhaul, cunningham, reefing lines (x3), leech line,
topping lift, boom vang, adjustable backstay, preventer, lazy jacks (or
Dutchman or StackPak), furling line (for boom or main), perhaps a boom
bolt
rope, I've heard of batten control lines.
---------
Flattening Reef, Downhaul or Barber haul on down for Broad Reach or Run,
Jack Stays (Port & Starboard) Upper Shrouds (P&S) Lower Shrouds(P&S)
Adjustable Mast Foot, Fore Stay.

These are all adjustments for Maconi Main. I wouldn't even know where to
start on a Junk Sail or even a Lateen Sail (I learned to sail with a
Lateen)

Salty, if you really need to know what & how to adjust; post me off
group. I don't want to be in a discussion with a Sockpuppet. I know Bart
& Ganz to be real.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Neal;

I don't have a boat; period. I did and I sailed it and gladly share my
knowledge with other SAILORS. It's post just like this that made me a
LURKER.

BYE

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 27, 3:31 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

Not counting the halyard and mainsheet,
I can think of 12 other mainsail control
lines. What am I thinking of? [1 pt]

Hmmm... traveler, outhaul, cunningham, reefing lines (x3), leech line,
topping lift, boom vang, adjustable backstay, preventer, lazy jacks (or
Dutchman or StackPak), furling line (for boom or main), perhaps a boom bolt
rope, I've heard of batten control lines.

Downhaul?

Reef cringles?

For a gaff, include peak & throat halyards, plus the gaff outhaul. For
other rigs such as a lug or sprit, you would have buntlines & brails
as well. On some sprit sails (like an Opti) you have a snotter. Great
name for a line!

There have been rigs that had tackles for bending the boom on each
tack. Others have had a zippered shelf along the foot with a line to
control it.

If you include the backstay, which does certainly affect the main but
is really for adjusting & controlling the mast rather than the
mainsail directly-
Running backstay?
Checkstay?
Babystay?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 27, 3:31 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I'm not sure I'd consider the cringles mainsheet control. They don't really
contribute to it.

Downhaul.. as in using cunningham?

You're right, technically, that the backstay adjustments affect the mast
directly, but the effect is to change the shape of the main (and jib I
suppose).

How about boom brake or jibe-preventer? :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm not sure I'd consider the cringles mainsheet control. They don't really
contribute to it.

Sure they do.
If you're talking about shape controls, then they only affect the
shape in a negative way. But they certainly control the main, they
keep the reefed section bundled up & control it from blowing all over
the place.

Downhaul.. as in using cunningham?

Same thing for shape, but different controls. The hand brake or
parking brake is different from the regular brake on your car, right?

The cunningham is esentially a rule cheater. It provides a way to
increase luff tension without pulling the sail outside the black
bands.

You're right, technically, that the backstay adjustments affect the mast
directly, but the effect is to change the shape of the main (and jib I
suppose).

How about boom brake or jibe-preventer? :-)

I'd consider that a "control line" but don't like them and have never
used them on a boat I was skippering. If you can't avoid gybing, or
keep control of the boom when gybing, then you need practice on the
helm & sheet!
OTOH for a long cruise with a windvane or autopilot, they are useful
but in the way.

DSK

Mainsail question Capt. Rob ASA 13 January 22nd 06 02:10 AM
Mainsail question... Capt. Rob ASA 14 January 20th 06 10:57 PM
FS: Mainsail in Md rgnmstr Marketplace 0 March 16th 05 01:13 AM
Mainsail Covers katysails ASA 69 March 6th 05 10:41 PM
OUtboard Controls.. I have a Johnson.. Ordered the controls and they say "MERC " on them? [email protected] General 1 May 12th 04 12:22 AM