Gregg Germain

Default Which Tool for Relieving Bulkhead ?

mike worrall wrote:
: Imagine a freshly cut-out plywood bulhead lying horizontaly on a table
: before you. The bulkhead will be attached to, or installed into the
: fiberglass hull using 'bonding angles' i.e., several layers of 'glass
: / epoxy that will lap onto both the bulkhead and hull. I'd like to
: relieve, or remove, about 1/8" of the plywood (face) material all
: along the edge of the bulkhead (where it will bond to the hull) for
: (say) 3" from the edge on both sides of the bulkhead. In this way,
: the 'glass angles will lie flush with the bulhead surface.

: How do I do this? That is, wat tool(s) would be used for removing the
: plywood, leaving a clean cut of consistent depth?

: Appreciate any tips.

: Mike Worrall
: Los Angeles

How about a router table with the fence drawn back so that a straight
router bit protrudes 1/8" of an inch out from the fence, and, of
course, more than 3/4" high? Perhaps, instead of the fence you might
use 2 vertical dowels for the curve to run against.

I don't use plywood in my boat building but it's just a wild
thought. haven't tried anything like that.

--- Gregg

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

"Improvise, adapt, overcome."