Bill

It is popular with the French to build in Al. Long distance sailing is quite
popular also and the two go together.

Previously, I owned a French built Al sloop. The hull was very well done and
the boat was built with safety in mind.

You have to be careful with the electrical system, but I have seen Al boats
over 25 years old with hulls as good as new. You should insulate hull.

A couple of years ago a hurricane came through and destroyed quite a few
boats. I drove up to a marina and there was an Al sailboat still tied up. It
looked like superman had taken a hammer to it, but it was still floating.

There is a book about building in metal, but I can't remember the reference.

People use to say that you can't find people to repair Al in far off places,
but I think that has changed

Because of people in the US of A not really knowing about Al for boats, you
can find good deals in buying am Al vessel - although with the weak dollar
now, that may not be the case for foreign vessels. However, you will have
the same problem when selling it.

Good Luck

Bill

kisero" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

does anyone knows about alumiunium sailboats construction related
issues? im plannign to invest on a 40 foot long sailboat.

ive searched along the internet for designs + construction issues , but
i did not get much...ive sailed some years, i think i got some ideas,
but i clearly need some expert on the field.

any ideas?

- low cost aluminiun construction countrys/regions?
- good internet-available oceanic sailboats designs
- books, etc?

thanks all , really nice group.
bye bye